From the Anglo Saxon period, the local church was entitled to one tenth of the local produce - known as the tithe. The Tithe Commutation Act of 1836 provided a general framework under which tithes that had been paid in kind could be converted to cash payments. The process of determining the amount of tithe payable by each landowner produced a series of documents - particularly large scale maps and lists of local land owners and occupiers.
The tithe apportionment schedule is the key to the tithe map. It tells us who owned what pieces of land, what it was used for and the amount of payment due. The schedule is divided into columns:
- The plot number referring to the tithe map
- Occupier – if the landowner, this is shown as
‘himself’, otherwise the tenant’s name
- Name or description of the land, premises or field
- State of cultivation eg arable, meadow, pasture, wood,
- The size – in acres, roods and perches (40 perches
= 1 rood and 4 roods = 1 acre)
- Rent charge VoG - money due to Vicar of Grinton (£1
= 20 shillings, 1 shilling = 12 pence)
- Rent charge Imp - after the dissolution of the monasteries
much church property, including the rights to tithe, passed
into the hands of private individuals ('Lay Impropriators').
Records copied from a transcription
(not the primary source) held by
North Yorkshire County Council, County Record Office,
Northallerton DL7 8TB.